New PM Articles for the Week of July 4 –10

New project management articles published on the web during the week of July 4 –10, 2011.  We read all of this stuff so you don’t have to!  Recommended:

  • A recent survey of U.S. information technology workers found that only 30% felt status meetings helped them accomplish work tasks.    So, how do we convince the other 70% to come, anyway?
  • Elizabeth Harrin completes her two-part series on managing in a matrix structure, and shares a video on management of value.  “Value is the ratio of satisfaction of needs over use of resources.”  Nine minutes, safe for work.
  • Kerry Wills has come to realize that nothing is simple in IT projects.  Fortunately, he has some plans to deal with it.
  • Taralyn Frasqueri-Molina explains the benefits of a Change Control Board.
  • Andrew Makar shares some lessons learned in the “forming” and “storming” phases of team development.
  • Paul Boos wants to use Chinese Feng Shui techniques, mixed with Japanese approaches to innovation, to create an Agile culture of innovation in government agencies. No, really!
  • Mike Griffiths looks at expanding the application of Agile techniques outside of the software development domain.
  • Glen Alleman addresses project governance and Agile development, asking, “How do we increase the probability of success for a project?”
  • Ted Hardy considers using a product development model from the Lean Start-up scene to define a “minimally viable project.”
  • Craig Brown shares a video from Tobias Meyer on “the speedboat game,” a safe way to discover what customers are dissatisfied with.  Five minutes, safe for work.
  • Mike Donoghue looks at why legacy systems are inhibiting adoption of cloud-based solutions, and what might be done about it.
  • Mike Inman suggests an alternative view of our basis for trust.
  • Scott Lowe share his recent experience with “rural sourcing” on a development project.
  • Demetrios Gianniris wants us to apply emotional intelligence to project management.
  • Chuck Morton says the root of failure for “high-novelty” IT projects is simply our willingness to provide estimates, before we really understand what we’re going to do.
  • “Project Shrink” Bas de Baar considers essential conversations, like “Where do babies come from?”  And other topics we handle with metaphors.
  • “Project Whisperer” Pam Stanton shares her top presentation tips.
  • Brad Egeland insists there are more constraints on a project than just time, resources, and quality, and he proceeds to name eight more.

Enjoy!

1 thought on “New PM Articles for the Week of July 4 –10

  1. Hi there,

    I am the administrator for http://www.unleashpm.com. While browsing on web I have come across your website and it is excellent which contains very good information.
    Some of its salient features include:
    1. Manage projects, programs, portfolios and products on own cloud.
    2. Manage meetings and track information and streamline creation of Information radiators.

    3. Create collaborative environment where teams emphasize faster product creation following a mix of water fall and agile technologies.

    If you feel my website will be helpful to your visitors, kindly place my site as a resource in your website.

    My site details:
    Title: Project Management Tools
    URL: http://www.unleashpm.com/
    Description: Unleash is a web based project management tool integrated with lots of modules like projects, milestones, tasks, to-do lists for easy and effective management of both traditional and agile projects.
    Have a nice day.

Comments are closed.