PMI recently announced that the printed versions of three newly revised standards will be available in January, 2013. They are:
- A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge(PMBOK Guide) – Fifth Edition
- The Standard for Program Management – Third Edition
- The Standard for Portfolio Management – Third Edition
PDF versions of all three Standards will be available to PMI members for download on December 27, 2012. An FAQ for this release is available here. Major updates to the PMBOK in the Fifth Edition include:
- The content from Section 3 “The Standard for Project Management of a Project” has been moved to Annex A1. The new Section 3 addresses project management processes and Process Groups as in previous editions.
- A new Knowledge Area has been created called “Project Stakeholder Management” that increases the focus on identifying and engaging stakeholders. This increases the number of Knowledge Areas from nine to ten.
- Four planning processes have been added to reinforce the concept that each major Knowledge Area has a planning process focusing on how that area will be planned and executed.
Naturally, PMI intends to update the credential examinations that refer to these publications. According to their website, they expect that only a small percentage of examination questions will require updates based on changes to the standards. They also published the schedule for the exam updates:
|PMP||31 July 2013|
|CAPM||1 July 2013|
|PMI-SP||31 August 2013|
|PMI-RMP||31 August 2013|
|PgMP||31 July 2013|
If you are studying for the PMP exam, it’s best to continue using the Fourth Edition of the PMBOK if you plan to sit for the exam prior to the July update. Note that if you are preparing for the PMI-ACP exam, no changes are planned.