- Dr. Harold Kerzner weighs in on Healthcare.gov, the Death Star, and why so many high-visibility IT projects fail.
- Tim Wasserman explores leading change from the middle.
- Anya Faingersh shares a story about success and failure, from an article published in a military journal in 1905 – some lessons are eternal!
The Strategic View
- Daniel Burrus distinguishes between creativity and innovation, and offers some strategies for making us more effective at both.
- Olaf Swantee reports on machine-to-machine technology, “the internet of things.” General Electric thinks it might add $US 10-15 trillion to world GDP in years to come.
- Susan Crawford considers the problem-plagued rollout of Healthcare.gov and what it will take to create a tech-savvy government.
- Cyndee Miller notes that the two key skills for project managers might now be sales and leadership, with quotes from author Mark Sanborn.
PM Best Practices
- Elizabeth Harrin reports on a presentation on tools for empowerment and managing virtual teams at Conference: Zero by Ulrik Moes.
- Glen Alleman takes his turn analyzing the difficulties surrounding the Healthcare.gov web site.
- Joe Wynne tells a tale of discovering requirements too late to plan for them, but not too late to be have to comply with them.
- Ian Webster notes that nearly projects will have one or more single points of failure, who happen to be a person.
- Joe Crumpler has found that even the word “system” means different things to different people.
- Michael Girdler lets us in on the decision process that Cornerstone Dynamics followed to determine whether they needed a mobile app or mobile web site.
- David Hobbs recommends taking a product view when managing a web site project. “There is no finish line for the site owner.”
- Barry Hodge shares a deck with eight topics for a successful kickoff.
- Kerry Wills extols the simple virtues of following up on commitments.
- Peter Saddington has a new FAQ: most common management questions on the Scrum product owner role.
- Johanna Rothman asks, why do we estimate? And offers some small-scale alternatives.
- Craig Brown crowd-sourced an Agile reading list from his fellow practitioners in Oz.
- Shim Marom looks at applying Agile across the organization, and why acceptance of Agile methods seems to be proceeding so slowly.
- James Roberts reports on a survey of UK IT directors from recruiting specialist Robert Half. Top skills being sought: the cloud, security, and project management.
- Scott Berkun shares his professionally prepared checklist for giving a great talk.
- Cheri Baker has gradually morphed from ENFP to ENFJ. What, you don’t know your Myers-Briggs personality type? Here’s an assessment questionnaire.
- Eric Rosenbaum shows us some examples of presenting complex data in charts, long before Big Data or even computers. It’s not all about technology!