- John Bauer provides a history lesson and some predictions on the evolution of corporate IT, their relationship with the business, and everything-as-a-service.
- Peter Bruzzese sees the end of on-premises IT, as we move everything to the Cloud.
- Ammar Mango examines the intersection of innovation and project management.
- John Goodpasture suggests that when the evidence doesn’t indicate a clear course of action, you should make an informed judgment.
- Bruce Benson observes one key project management lesson from ObamaCare is “Try something new.” Just providing an alternative can sometimes drive innovation.
- Elizabeth Harrin provides her round up of project management news for this month.
- Lyndsey Gilpin shares photos and stories of the women who created the technology industry: Ada Lovelace, Grace Hopper, Hedy Lamarr, and more!
PM Best Practices
- Vicki Wrona shares best practices for effective brainstorming, including a technique called Reverse Brainstorming.
- Brad Egeland presents his approach to planning and conducting meetings that are productive, organized, and effective.
- Graham Oakes examines risk management from the perspective of the trigger point, e.g. when the probabilistic risk event actually occurs.
- Martin Webster presents a slightly facetious case for avoiding blame by avoiding risk.
- Coert Visser explains why it seems like other people succeed so easily, when we have to work so hard. Short answer: we’re mistaken about how much it takes.
- Cheri Baker models three short examples of pushing back.
- Cesar Abeid interviews Dave Stachowiak on how to manage, lead, and influence without authority. Just 57 minutes, safe for work.
- Srinath Ramakrishnan summarizes five change management models.
- Glen Alleman extracts key points from James Dewar’s “Assumption-Based Planning.”
- Andy Jordan recommends that we partner with the customer to select the right project execution approach (Agile vs. Waterfall).
- Anne-Marie Charrett refutes the “waterfall is never the right approach mindset,” by debunking the most common memes.
- David Clarke explains why SaaS provider Workday has moved to a single codeline model for continuous development and release. Read this one twice!
- Dave Prior interviews Dr. Sallyann Freudenberg on the psychological basis for the effectiveness of pair programming. Just 15 minutes, safe for work.
- Mike Cohn explores the subtle differences in two definitions of velocity.
- Clinton Ages explains how his business analyst skill set best fits in with a Scrum team.
- Shim Marom begins a series on IT investment, with the need for a business case.
- Emanuele Passera begins a series on portfolio management, using rigorous financial analysis.
- Henny Portman provides a bullet list of questions to ask about the actions of the project owner before replacing the manager of a troubled project.