Disaster and Recovery
- Steven Levy finds project management lessons in the heartbreaking Korean ferry disaster.
- John Goodpasture examines the way small teams deal with sudden disasters.
- Nick Pisano points out that much of the criticism of the Obamacare website misses the real lessons.
PM Best Practices
- Duncan Haughey tells us how to be effective coaches for our project teams.
- Martin Webster argues that “winning” is great for sports, but lousy for teams at work. A cooperative style gets more done.
- Andrew Filev presents some strategies for establishing good habits in your teams’s group behavior.
- Alina Vrabie tells how to facilitate creativity within your team, using those soft skills we all like to talk about.
- Luis Seaba Coelho shares some amazing data on the affect the “default” has on the decisions we make.
- Philip Smith notes that many projects get off on the wrong foot, failing in requirements gathering and engaging senior executives.
- Kerry Wills explains why it’s so important for your project team to establish the right pace.
- Mike Clayton finds some great insights in the origins and evolution of the term “stakeholder.”
- Roman Pichler elegantly describes how we build a product that the users will actually want, using a Vision Board. Highly recommended!
- Rich Karlgaard gives twelve reasons why your project team should be small enough to feed with two pizzas, and twelve tips for creating two-pizza teams.
- Kevin Aguanno shares case studies of three Canadian banks that took different approaches to adopting Agile methods. Highly recommended!
- Pawel Brodzinski says that if you want higher productivity metrics, just throw out the low numbers in your planning poker deck. I think that was humor …
- Vijaya Kumar Bandaru has put together a great Scrum Master resource, for those who want to take servant leadership up a notch.
- Glen Alleman finds himself explaining that yes, we can know the (approximate) value of what we’re building. Egad …
- Kailash Awati tells a Holmes and Watson story of the PMO manager who was faced with a horrible truth – the dysfunctions of his organization.
- Mike Donoghue proclaims the power of the user in guiding the evolution of technology.
Podcasts and Videos
- Dave Prior interviews Kanban coach Frank Vega, who advocates for using workflow management for a variety of activities. Just 11 minutes, safe for work.
- Cesar Abeid explains how to leverage the web to gain exposure and build your reputation. Just 50 minutes, safe for work.
- Margaret Meloni tells us how project portfolio management fits into our working lives. Just 12 minutes, safe for work.