- Emanuele Passera continues his series on a financial approach to project portfolio management with an explanation of the efficient frontier.
- Nicole Laskowski summarizes the growing debate around Infonomics, and treating data as a business asset.
- John Goodpasture notes the difference between ROI and business benefit.
- Geoff Crane shares his Excel-based project portfolio capacity planner, complete with video. What’s not to like?
- Steve Romero gives his critique of the Bain RAPID decision-making model.
PM Best Practices
- Chuck Morton begins series positing an alternative model of project management, based on “Reconstructing Project Management,” by Peter Morris.
- Kerry Wills offers some alternative dimensions to “percent complete.”
- Gary Nelson recalls secrets learned from a family road trip that might help you get your project to end on schedule.
- Martin Webster continues his series on leadership models, with a look at the Situational Leadership model proposed by Hersey and Blanchard.
- Shim Marom continues his series on the business case, summarizing a paper by Egon Berghout and Chee-Wee Tan, analyzing municipal e-government projects.
- Nick Pisano is very critical of the way the Statement of Objectives has been adopted in certain federal government agencies, replacing the Statement of Work.
- Cyndee Miller reports from PMP Global Congress 2014 – EMEA, where keynote speaker James Burke says that tackling complexity is critical to organizational survival.
- Gina Abudi shares a story of how she convinced a client to make change a positive experience, by looking forward.
- Andrew Filev examines how we can apply lessons learned from neuroscience research to project management.
- Mike Cohn wants us to include developers in story writing, for excellent reasons.
- Henny Portman shares an infographic that shows how Prince2 and Agile reinforce each other.
- Bart Gerardi notes that requirements are gathered in Agile projects, too, even if we don’t expend as much paper in documenting them.
- Bruno Collet proposes an Agile balanced scorecard – accountants, beware!
Podcasts and Videos
- Cornelius Fichtner answers five questions on Agile project management, received via Email from Alicia Aurishio. Just 20 minutes, safe for work.
- Cesar Abeid interviews Geoff Crane about applying soft skills, building teams, and developing influence. Just 48 minutes, safe for work.
- Dave Prior interviews George Schlitz on his approach to keeping positive change moving forward by “breaking the org.” Just 13 minutes, safe for work.
- Rich Maltzman and Dave Shirley point out the one potential benefit to global warming: more jobs for project managers!
- Michel Dion found some interesting research on what you need to get a project management position, based on an analysis of open job requisitions.
- Adriana Girdler counts the benefits of using intuition at work.
- Elizabeth Harrin reviews “Jumpstart Your Creativity,” by Shawn Doyle and Steven Rowell.