New project management articles published on the web during the week of June 23 – 29. We gather all of this stuff so you don’t have to search for it! Recommended:
- Conrado Morlan uses lessons from the Formula One racing circuit to illustrate risk management.
- Kerry Wills explores the parallels between soccer and project management. Or, for those outside the U.S., football and project management.
- Kevin Korterud finds project management lessons in effective World Cup coaching.
PM Best Practices
- Glen Alleman helps us on our search for the simple solution for our complex problems, by telling us the simple truth: there isn’t one.
- Samad Aidane has published an ambitious series of articles on LinkedIn: ERP Projects, the complete guide.
- Tom Barnett shares his all-purpose framework for planning a SaaS application implementation.
- Dr. Karen McGraw offers some ideas on how to effectively manage organizational change.
- Esther Schindler addresses the most difficult challenge in modern project management: a virtual team of freelancers and contractors.
- Omar Al-Hajjar looks at ways for work-at-home team members to be effective.
- Chuck Morton considers another philosophical question: should the project manager work toward effectiveness goals, or just efficiency goals?
- Linky van der Merwe relates a case study of a stressful project in Mauritania, where the culture and environment presented unique challenges.
- Harry Hall tells us how to audit compliance and effectiveness of project management risk processes, within a PMO.
- Rich Maltzman and Dave Shirley preview their recorded presentation at the PMI Scheduling Community of Practice, on the long-term perspective.
- Elizabeth Harrin posted her June roundup of project management news.
- Mike Cohn explains why guitar hero Alvin Lee, whose “I’m Going Home” was a high point of “Woodstock,” would be a great Scum team member. Crazy ‘bout my baby!
- Pawel Brodzinski believes the best way to limit work in progress might be to make it harder to start new projects than to finish them.
- Dele Oluwole notes that the tester has a substantial in the Scrum team.
- Michelle Stronach tells how to be successful as a consulting project manager.
- Simon Buehring interviews Lindsay Scott on the career prospects for women in project management.
- Robert Wysocki and Joseph Matthews begin a series on how to succeed as an “occasional” project manager (as opposed to a “career” project manager).
- Venkat Rao observes that complex debates are not about winning, but about “winning over” people to your point of view.
- John Goodpasture describes an interesting approach to enforcing an honest debate: have the opposing sides summarize each other’s best arguments.
Podcasts and Videos
- Cornelius Fichtner interviews David Blumhorst, who says project success is about achieving business goals. Just 24 minutes, safe for work.
- Craig Smith and Renee Troughton interview visual facilitator Lynne Cazaly. Just 31 minutes, safe for work.