PM Best Practices
- John Goodpasture educates us on the art and science of preparing a request for proposal, or RFP. Must reading!
- Paul Glen explains why one person can’t be a project manager and a programmer, at the same time.
- Michel Dion walks us through the process of taking over a project from a departing project manager.
- Glen Alleman recounts the development of multi-criteria decision analysis.
- Bruce Benson shares a lesson learned from Little Caeser’s Pizza restaurants: small changes are sometimes enough to get big results.
- Elizabeth Harrin summarizes a presentation to the Ireland Chapter of PMI, delivered by Mike Hughes, Office Business Group Lead for Microsoft Ireland.
- Gina Abudi reveals her secrets of evaluating the culture of a client organization.
- Nick Pisano tells why measuring technical achievement matters and how fits in with other progress metrics.
- Kenneth Darter lists the attributes of an effective project sponsor.
- Mike Cohn defends the notion that story points are about time and level of effort, rather than just complexity.
- Bart Gerardi looks at Agile anti-patterns, starting with translating story points to effort hours.
- David Baker explores how the business analyst fits into the Scrum framework.
- David Anderson explains how risk affects work in progress, using a real life example: the number of shirts he should keep in his closet.
- Tobias Mayer gives a tongue-in-cheek explanation of how to scale Agile, the same way you would scale a fish. Excellent!
Following the Trends
- Nick Heath reports that IT outsourcing firms in India are automating many of their technical jobs. Salaries are skyrocketing due to competition for engineers!
- Mike Frandsen reflects on how the move to continuous development at Workday has benefitted their customers and increased the pace of innovation.
- Jelani Harper gives us the background on data governance programs.
- Suzanne Lucas gives us Boomers and Gen-X types a few cultural insights (OK, warnings) on how these recent graduates will change our workplace.
- Lindsay Scott uses a cautionary anecdote to lead up to the question: What was the last conscious thing you did to benefit your PM career?
- Andrea Brockmeier shares her thoughts on preparing for the PMI-ACP exam.
- Michael Lopp describes your elusive but hyper-effective colleague, The Wolf.
- Susanne Madsen offers three critical questions that you can use to solicit feedback.
Podcasts and Videos
- Cesar Abeid interviews Patrick Coffin and Dustin Kahia on their upcoming film, “Call of the Void,” and movie project management. Just 57 minutes, safe for work.
- Cornelius Fichtner interviews author Mark Phillips on his new book, “Reinventing Communication.” Just 30 minutes, safe for work.
- Margaret Meloni defines strategic reserve time, in the context of teams for whom the project is not their sole responsibility.