PM Best Practices
- Glen Alleman bemoans the abandonment of software engineering practices by so many who just want to sling code.
- Patrick Weaver reminds us of the proper definition of critical path.
- John Goodpasture starts with the flip of a coin, and proceeds give us the executive summary of statistical concepts for project managers.
- Kerry Wills would rather have a newbie with a good attitude than a jerk with a lot of expertise.
- Craig Brown shares an academic paper explaining how a “higher purpose” helped keep students motivated to perform tedious but necessary learning tasks.
- Alina Vrabie explores the neuroscience of routine tasks, muscle memory, and the effective sort of multi-tasking.
- Mary Shacklett identifies ten risks we might be overlooking in our IT projects.
- Kailash Awati has a few recommendations for enterprise architects.
- Bruce Harpham continues his series on strategic project management.
- Elizabeth Harrin reviews a business book in story form by Samir Penskar called “From Projects to Programs.”
- Dave Garrett interviews Mary Gorman on her creative techniques for eliciting requirements.
- Bruce McGraw lists his tips for creating and processing your Email.
- Johanna Rothman shares a story of small internal releases leading to more frequent public releases, leading to happier customers.
- Mike Cohn contrasts definitions of quality by Philip Crosby and Joseph Juran, and triggers a comment-storm!
- Sondra Ashmore and Kristin Runyan share a chapter on user stories from their new textbook, “Introduction to Agile Methods.”
- Bart Gerardi continues his series on Agile anti-patterns, extending his look at the misuse of story points.
- Manoj Khanna reviews the most common Agile metrics , and their significance.
- Tobias Mayer channels Stella Adler in a group exercise exploring the XP principle of system metaphor.
- Robert Galen offers some thoughts on the diagnosis and treatment of burnout.
- Allen Ruddock deflates a number of myths around project management training.
- Angela Guess posts the details of three upcoming CMMI Institute Data Management Maturity courses.
- Susanne Madsen gives us the Venn diagram of management and leadership.
- Coert Visser shares some new research: students who are told that they will have to explain the material to someone remember it better.
- Linky van der Merwe covers the eligibility requirements for the PMI Agile Certified Practitioner exam.