- Maree Harris tells us how to be a coach, rather than a critic.
- Amy Webb identifies the technology trends we can’t ignore in 2015.
- Igal Hauer breaks down the actions that you should take to get your project team communicating and collaborating.
PM Best Practices
- Steven Levy continues his series of posts on how to become the “five tools project manager,” explaining how to manage the Conditions of Satisfaction.
- Michael Wood explains why program management is more than just managing a portfolio of related projects.
- Glen Alleman gives us a quick recap of how our techniques for decision making in the presence of uncertainty have evolved, and how estimating is key to modern processes.
- Johanna Rothman explains why the “indispensable employee” is a problem for the team, for management, and for the indispensable employee.
- Lynda Bourne gives us a quick overview of the relationship between ethics, culture, rules, and governance.
- Steve Jones explores a hypothetical: a person in a trusted role, who has started doing things differently (but not out of role), being detected by security analytics.
- Terry Czigan reviews Margaret Lee’s new book, “Leading Virtual Project Teams.”
- Susanne Madsen applies the metaphor of Yin and Yang to leading projects.
- Margaret Meloni shares a nice graphic that summarizes how much project managers earn around the world.
- Elizabeth Harrin has identified ten high-value project management conferences for us to consider attending in 2015.
- Derek Huether found a new product that lets you implement a green technique: reusable story cards!
- Kelsey van Haaster gives us a primer on technical debt.
- John Goodpasture explains why round negotiating tables are Agile.
- Fang Wan consider the tenuous relationship between work and hours in estimates.
- Bart Gerardi explains why velocity is not a figure of merit for the team; it is a planning metric, not an efficiency metric.
- Mike Cohn even uses Scrum concepts to organize his own work. Probably not a daily stand-up, but other concepts map nicely.
- Deven Parekh projects five trends related to Big Data. “Personalized medicine?” The pharmacist as barista – wow …
- Scott Berkun tries to measure a trend: just how popular is remote work?
- Don Kim brings together various indicators that predict the growth of the independent project manager, as part of the new normal.
Podcasts and Videos
- Cesar Abeid interviews Susanne Madsen, on the power of project leadership. Just 56 minutes, safe for work.
- Cornelius Fichtner interviews Brian Irwin on facilitating Agile transformations using the Socratic method. Just 17 minutes, safe for work.
- Mark Phillipy interviews Joseph Flahiff on his new book, “Being Agile in a Waterfall World.” Just 58 minutes, safe for work.