- Ron Rosenhead shares some proven rules for project sponsors to use when briefing their project managers on the new project.
- Harry Hall lists seven presentation principles that project managers can learn from the weatherman.
- Toby Elwin distills some statistics on the Fortune 500 to make the point that the pace of change is increasing. And as project managers, we are agents of change!
PM Best Practices
- Glen Alleman describes a rigorous approach to estimating, which doesn’t assume that the past is entirely representative of the future.
- Bruce Benson reports that, by starting their project planning earlier and focusing on quality, his company avoided finishing late and buggy.
- Luis Seabra Coelho explains the difference between a project and a program.
- Richard Lepsinger has some suggestions for helping remote workers stay connected.
- Michelle Stronach looks at the PMO as a repository and source of “knowable project management.”
- Ryan Ogilvie looks at knowledge management from the self-service perspective. It’s all about processing for consumption.
- John Goodpasture considers the question of whether software actually fails, or just has faults. Burnt toast, anyone?
- Nick Pisano looks into the sources of resistance to change, when enterprise software is the change agent.
- Kathleen O’Connor interviews Mike Hughes, a consultant specializing in operational excellence, on why and how the IT department should say no.
- Pawel Brodzinski notes the inherent fallacy in the Shu-Ha-Ri model of learning new skills.
- Johanna Rothman explains some of the reasons why managers need estimates.
- Kaushik Saha defines the INVEST acronym for user stories.
- Nada Aldahleh describes six characteristics of effective product owners.
- Mike Griffiths looks at the statistics of the various credential programs from PMI, and plots a few trends.
- Paul Ritchie breaks down what the new PMI recertification requirements mean to training organizations.
- Steven Levy renews his membership in PMI, using software with an appallingly bad UX.
- Bruce Harpham notes several things you can do to help new team members get up to speed, while instilling a positive attitude.
- Elizabeth Harrin shares the contents of her reading pile. More accurately, her books to-finish-reading pile.
- Jamie Hill extracts a few lessons from his new book, “Make Good Habits Stick.”
Podcasts and Videos
- Cesar Abeid interviews Wes Schaeffer on the art and practice of sales and negotiating for project managers. Plus career tips from Dev Ramcharan and the must-read PM articles list from your truly. Just 36 minutes, safe for work.
- Cornelius Fichtner interviews Jamal Moustafaev on his new book, “Project Scope Management.” Just 25 minutes, safe for work.
- Rich Maltzman and Dave Shirley have crafted a commercial for their new book, “Driving Project, Program, and Portfolio Success: The Sustainability Wheel.” Just three minutes, safe for work, it’s got a good beat, and you can dance to it.