- Seth Godin lays out the precepts of decision hygiene – improving your ability to be decisive by clearing away the clutter that slows down decision-making.
- Paul Ritchie frames the new requirements for PMP continuing education in terms of what happens when “technical, leadership, and strategic and business management expertise” are absent.
- Kailash Awati and Simon Buckingham Shum look at the metaphors that drive our understanding of technology, especially Big Data.
PM Best Practices
- Glen Alleman points out key differences between two probability-based forecasting approaches: Bootstrapping and Monte Carlo Simulation.
- Peter Tarhanidis promotes the basics of establishing a decision-making process.
- Bruce Harpham provides his analysis of the new PMP continuing education requirements.
- Henny Portman explores ways to apply the concept of organizational energy to project portfolio management.
- Bart Gerardi begins a series on organizational agility – what it is, the forces driving it, and the defining characteristics of an agile organization.
- Gina Abudi introduces a series of case studies that demonstrate how to convert change resistors into change champions.
- Ryan Ogilvie disputes the old saying, “Good, fast, or cheap – pick any two.” We need to find the appropriate balance between the three.
- Fintan Manning notes five exciting improvements coming in Microsoft Project 2016.
- Kerry Wills gives us a preview of his latest book, “Assessing IT Projects,” due in June.
- John Goodpasture considers where verification and validation fit in to Agile practices.
- Mike Cohn gives us a nice explanation of that time-boxed research activity known as a spike.
- Gil Broza explains the Agile concept of deferring decisions, and some related decision-making principles.
- Kelsey van Haaster looks at the way that the growing complexity of Agile practices has brought us away from Agile principles.
Management without the Pointy Hair
- Mike Griffiths identifies the counter-productive attributes of open space offices, co-location, and “managing by walking around.”
- Pawel Brodzinski explains why he wants more women on his development team. Entirely aside from the fact that they constitute more than 50% of the population …
- Allen Ruddock details the process of hiring the right project manager, from strategy to tactics.
- Harry Hall recalls a “project superhero” who might have done more long-term harm to the organization than short-term good.
- Bruce Benson shares what he learned about setting goals from not finishing his first two marathons.
Podcasts and Videos
- Elizabeth Harrin shares her daily video diary from the PMI Global Congress EMEA in London. Three parts (links to the other days on the page), 16 minutes, safe for work.
- Dave Prior interviews Mike Cohn following his keynote for the recent Scrum Gathering, on being open to admit you might be wrong. Just 14 minutes, safe for work.
- Cornelius Fichtner interviews Profess Stephen Wearne on managing urgent projects. Just 25 minutes, safe for work.
- Craig Smith interviews Ian Jones and Korrine Jones at the LEADit service management conference in Melbourne. Just 34 minutes, safe for work.