- Joel Bancroft Connors and his invisible gorilla, Hogarth, explain the value of conducting structured meetings with stakeholders.
- Elizabeth Harrin summarizes the key points from a presentation by Emad Aziz at the PMI Global Congress EMEA, what stakeholders want. Basically, they want to understand the value and benefits of the project, and they want to gain an assurance that the PM is up to the job.
- Bruce Harpham explores the ways we can build trust at work, based on recent research.
Project Management Methods
- Glen Alleman shares his reading list for those who want to learn about applying statistics, finance and economics to estimating and business decision making.
- John Goodpasture casts a critical eye on a dubious claim: statistics does not require randomness.
- Nick Pisano considers the potential for development of a general theory of project management.
- Dave Wakeman looks at how we can achieve strategic alignment for our projects.
- Rich Maltzman recounts an interesting story from a bank in Israel that applies corporate social responsibility to reduce risk and improve sustainability.
- Michel Dion reviews Peter Taylor’s new book, Real Project Management.
- Andy Jordan details how to ensure your project realizes the benefits it was approved to deliver.
- Marco Behler announces his new e-book on customer requirements, for custom software development.
- Tom McFarlin has an interesting approach to ever-changing technology: assume you know nothing.
- Geoff Watts explains imposter syndrome, and how to deal with professional insecurity, effectively.
- Pawel Brodzinski summarizes what he and his colleagues at Lunar Logic have learned about Minimum Viable Product.
- Ebin Poovathany gives us the history behind user stories, and what Kent Beck had in mind when he started using them.
Management without the Pointy Hair
- Venkat Rao explores the relationship between social interaction, strain, and stress.
- Margaret Meloni says we need to fine-tune the stress levels our team operates under, in order to optimize our productivity.
- Coert Vissar samples a list of 20 psychological principles for teaching and learning, published by the APA.
- Paul Ritchie summarizes recent research from PM College, showing the gap between what skills project managers think they need to work on, and what their bosses think.
- Karina Keith rounds up a list of scary statistics on time management.
Podcasts and Videos
- Cesar Abeid interviews Colin Ellis, who shares his thoughts on hot to get started in a project management career. Just 55 minutes, safe for work.
- Cornelius Fichtner interviews PMI’s John Kleine on the upcoming changes to the PDU mix required to maintain your PMP credential. Just 40 minutes, safe for work.
- Vivek Anigras and Aakash Srinivasan turn the tables on Dave Prior, interviewing him for their new Agile Archers series of videos. Just 8 minutes, safe for work.
- Harry Hall explains how he developed a series of on-line project management courses. His overview video is here. Just two minutes, safe for work.