- Susanne Madsen suggests a few things to do during your first month on a new job or project to set yourself up for success.
- Richard Lepsinger reviews three leadership tactics that work fine in a hierarchic bureaucracy but usually fail in a matrixed organization.
- Naomi Caietti briefly explains the key behaviors and skillsets of three key roles: project sponsor, project manager, and business analyst.
PM Best Practices
- Dave Wakeman has some suggestions for ensuring your project retains its strategic focus.
- Elizabeth Harrin points out three common mistakes that project managers make, even when they know better.
- Henny Portman reviews “The Abilene Paradox and other meditations on management,” by Jerry B. Hervey. Looks interesting.
- Mike Clayton reviews “Transforming Business with Program Management,” by Satish Subramanian.
- Matthew Squair reviews the history of nuclear reactor failures in explaining how the choice of a risk response can be influenced by uncertain estimates of the severity of a failure.
- Mike Cohn hypothesizes a couple of situations where the product owner should be able to drive technical decisions.
- Sally Elatta answers questions posed during her webinar, “Scaling Agile Metrics and Measuring What Matters.”
- John Goodpasture addresses the need for preserving and accessing the knowledge created during the project, after it concludes.
- Johanna Rothman has some advice for managers who want to reward individuals, rather than teams.
- Glen Alleman debunks the latest #NoEstimates meme.
- Doug Putnam and Taylor Putnam-Majarian explain how to implement full-circle estimating.
- Marco Behler looks at how software developers make (bad) estimates.
Podcasts and Videos
- Dave Prior interviews Agile coach Derek Huether on how he uses Personal Kanban. Just 33 minutes, safe for work.
- Cornelius Fichtner interviews Kim Wasson on the peope and relationships side of project management.
- Samad Aidane interviews Wellpoint VP of Business Solutions Sarina Arcari, leader of PMI’s PMO of the Year Award winner. A little over an hour, safe for work.
- Margaret Meloni tells a story of a project that needed a planning session, but in order to do that, needed to hit the Pause Just two minutes, safe for work.
Outside the Lines
- Lynda Bourne summarizes the scientific research into the relationship between happiness at work, productivity, and health.
- Bruce Harpham outlines a strategy for expanding your job, as an approach to building your career.
- Evil HR Lady Suzanne Lucas makes the case for not working on the weekend. It’s now summertime here in the northern hemisphere – enjoy it!
- Ron Rosenhead tells how to solicit feedback as input to your personal development plan.
- Venkatesh Rao introduces a series on the theories and teachings of John Boyd, Air Force strategist and father of the OODA Loop.
- Linky van der Merwe summarizes the four pillars of emotional intelligence.