New project management articles published on the web during the week of June 13 – 19. And this week’s video: Simone Giertz explains how she became the Queen of Shitty Robots. Less than two minutes, generally safe for work, and inspiring for those with imagination, but neither technical nor social skills.
- Thomas Carney has rounded up six diverse, well-qualified opinions on the #NoEstimates debate. Well worth reading, and even more worth thinking about.
- Kailash Awati tells the story before the story – a parable about setting business expectations before beginning a data science project. Just 5 minutes, safe for work.
- Kathleen O’Connor interviews Jim Dewald on his upcoming book, “Achieving Longevity: How Great Firms Prosper Through Entrepreneurial Thinking.”
- Elizabeth Harrin points out the ramifications the Brexit vote will have for businesses and the project managers who will have to implement all those contingency plans.
- Harry Hall notes the steps to take when you have to replace a team member on a project.
- Kenneth Ashe recommends strategic thinking as an approach to identify and assess process improvements.
- Kimberly Wamba expounds on best practices in managing uncertainty and ambiguity.
- Oscar Berg counts off the reasons why corporate investments in IT commonly fail.
- Ruairi O’Donnellan introduces Brightwork’s new Resource Management Pocket Guide. It’s a free download, once you provide your contact information.
- Elise Stevens interviews Susanne Madsen on how to manage a demanding workload. Just 24 minutes, safe for work.
- Derek Huether notes, “we need a lot fewer Agile police and a lot more Agile ambassadors.”
- Henny Portman reviews “Getting Value out of Agile Retrospectives,” by Ben Linders and Linus Goncalves. Includes links to two related YouTube videos.
- Martin Aziz describes the Retro Game, a board game for teams prone to sitting around the table and asking each other, “Well, what do you think?”
- Ryan Ripley interviews Dave West on the future of Scrum. Just 19 minutes, safe for work.
- Jayaprakash Prabhakar defines two alternatives to TDD: acceptance test-driven development and exploratory test-driven development.
- Dave Prior interviews Katrina Coker about selecting an accountability partner to help you reach your personal and professional goals. Just 33 minutes, safe for work.
- Shoaib Ahmed identifies four key part of any organization’s transition to Agile.
- Art Petty rants abut managers who don’t take on the responsibility to identify and develop talent.
- Liane Davey notes that talent management can bring out the worst in bad managers.
- Suzanne Lucas explains how managers can use a goal-based process to train their employees for success.
- Gina Abudi reflects on what to address when considering an employee for a supervisory role.
- Seth Godin reminds us that it takes guts to recruit people who are better than we are. But it’s necessary in order to raise the average.
- John Goodpasture contemplates the eccentric employee, who should not be managed but should be allowed to fiddle a bit.
- Lisette Sutherland discusses the challenges people and companies face when they transition to remote work. Just 16 minutes, safe for work.
- Bruce Harpham opines on why most people fail at making career changes.