New project management articles published on the web during the week of August 8 – 14. And this week’s video: Ken Schwaber and Jeff Sutherland discuss the Scrum Guide Refresh for 2016. Just 46 minutes, safe for work, and vital if you want to keep up with Agile!
- Carl Pritchard uses the Rio Olympics as an example of a complex project and explains the use of a tiered risk system. Excellent and timely!
- David Koontz summarizes the Team Performance Model, by Drexler and Sibbet. Definitely a step up from the rhymes of the 50-year old Tuckman model.
- Jordan Sims points out the project management challenges for the UK government in implementing the Brexit vote.
- Glen Alleman examines the problems commonly encountered with project schedules and describes the appropriate corrective actions.
- Jay Hicks shares some insights into PERT he got in a conversation with Rick Morris, host of the radio show The Work / Life Balance.
- David Cotgreave describes what “good” looks like in IT project management.
- Moira Alexander reflects on the good and bad of making decisions based on gut feelings.
- Elizabeth Harrin details a five-step to choosing project team collaboration tools.
- Ciara McDonnell shares an infographic with tips on how to use Outlook more effectively.
- Lindsey Marymont describes three strategies for making your PMO a driving force for implementing business strategy.
- Women Testers Magazine 2nd anniversary edition is now available for download.
- Stefan Wolpers curates his weekly Scrum / Agile reader’s digest for this week.
- Dave Prior posted four interviews from Agile 2016 this week, with Michael Spayd and Michele Madore, Johanna Rothman, Woody Zuill, and Gil Broza. Something for everyone!
- Mike Cohn warns that a definition of “ready” can set your organization on the path down a slippery slope to stage gates and other archaic management rituals.
- Amit Kulkarni relates the experience his team had in being Agile across borders and across cultures with their Dutch client.
- Art Petty describes our daily choice: to merely transact with other people, or to create an opportunity to transform.
- Dmitriy Nizhebetskiy walks us through some situations where we should be alert to the potential for unethical behavior.
- Anabelle Smyth points out the differences between leader behaviors and manager behaviors.
- Michel Dion articulates the need for authentic leadership in project management.
- Bertrand Duperrin calls bullshit on media depictions of the Millenials and their younger siblings.
- Scott Berkun lists seven key questions to ask for any new technological idea.
Working and the Workplace
- Alison DeNisco reports on a new survey that indicates the over-55 worker is just as comfortable with technology as their younger colleagues. So there!
- Brendan Toner summarizes the key points of rapidly learning a new skill as described in “The First 20 Hours,” by Josh Kaufman.
- Lisette Sutherland shares some tech tips for virtual teams, gleaned from some of her interviews and years of experience. Just 9 minutes, safe for work.
- Seth Godin points out three important truths about work and opportunity in the new economy.