New project management articles published on the web during the week of July 1 – 7. And this week’s video: every year, Cy Swan and Scott Wadsworth celebrate Independence Day in the traditional Oregon pioneer way by packing black powder between two anvils and launching one of them into the air near their homes in Medford. Cy is in his 80’s, still working every day as a blacksmith, and if he ever wrote his autobiography, it would have to be published in three volumes. 2 minutes, safe for work.
Business Acumen and Strategy
- Sarah Todd examines the departure of Apple design chief Jony Ive to show why it can be dangerous to allow burned out star employees to stay in their role. 5 minutes to read.
- CISOMag shares statistics showing that phishing and ransomware are the most reported types of cyber-attacks, but GDPR-ready firms have suffered fewer data breaches. 2 minutes to read.
- Matt Hilbert looks at the growing influence of the GDPR in other countries and suggests an approach for ensuring compliance with developing legislation. 5 minutes to read.
- Harry Hall explains SWOT analysis: what it is, how to engage stakeholders, and how to conduct one. Or watch his video; 3 minutes to read or watch.
- Cornelius Fichtner shares a free ebook, Managing Smaller and Medium-Sized Projects, by Dr. Jim Young. Download link in the PDU Tip box. Podcast, 10 minutes, safe for work.
- Mike Clayton explains what external dependencies are and how they can impact your project. Video, 4 minutes, safe for work.
- Robin Nicklas demonstrates resource leveling using MS Project and resource smoothing using MS Excel. Different techniques with different objectives. 7 minutes to read.
- Linky Van Der Merwe continues her series with how to transition into the agile project management role. 4 minutes to read.
- Henny Portman reviews Flawless Consulting: A guide to getting your expertise used, by Peter Block. 3 minutes to read.
Managing Software Development
- Stefan Wolpers curates his weekly list of Agile content, from fixing Scrum with working agreements to the rhythm of Design Thinking to mob programming patterns. 7 outbound links, 3 minutes to read.
- Ron Jeffries looks at applying Agile methods to contracts with a fixed-scope, fixed-delivery, and fixed-price. 11 minutes to read.
- Erik Rutkens and Jasper De Vries present a comprehensive analysis of current and developing trends in application security testing. 9 minutes to read.
- Gábor Zöld gives us a comprehensive guide to technical debt, from what and why to preventing and managing, with case studies. 11 minutes to read.
- Rahul Jain shares 35 statistics you need to know to plan for cross-browser testing. 2 minutes to read.
- Kristin Jackovny follows last week’s article on testing databases with a look at query methods for relational and non-relational 3 minutes each.
- Amyra Sheldon identified the nine most popular cross-platform tools for mobile application development. 8 minutes to read.
- Dan Rockwell: “Stupid teams consist of smart people who engage in stupid behaviors.” But smart teams engage in a few specific, smart practices. 2 minutes to read.
- Art Petty notes that too much feedback can be destructive. Good leaders are alert to causes of stress. 6 minutes to read.
- Thomas Oppong explains how learned helplessness makes it difficult to change our circumstances. 5 minutes to read.
Research and Insights
- Robert Roy Britt recaps recent research into how the brain makes short-term and long-term memories. 7 minutes to read.
- Johnny Wood briefly describes the top ten emerging technologies expected to significantly impact society and the global economy. 4 minutes to read.
- Hemant Kakkar reports on his research into dominance and prestige, showing why some leaders are more likely to be punished for their mistakes. 6 minutes to read.
Working and the Workplace
- Kat Boogaard shares actionable advice and information on business travel from two Road Warriors. 9 minutes to read.
- Suzanne Lucas answers the question: can you switch a full-time worker into a contractor? 3 minutes to read.
- Stav Ziv coaches us on talking about our strengths and weaknesses in a job interview. 8 minutes to read.