New project management articles published on the web during the week of July 22 – 28. And this week’s video: Suzy Welch rails against four business buzzwords that are no substitute for honest communication. 2 minutes, safe for work. And more on this from Teena Maddox, below.
Business Acumen and Strategy
- Dirk Deichmann, Violetta Rodopoulou, and Inga Hoever report on their research into selecting crowd-sourced ideas for corporate investment. 6 minutes to read.
- Teena Maddox rounds up the 50 most overused business clichés. I’ll keep using actionable, but the rest need to be retired from our presentation vocabulary. 5 minutes to read.
- Greg Satell explores the nature of negative reactions to innovation and why we should learn to embrace that opposition and learn from it. 5 minutes to read.
- Elizabeth Harrin tutors us on how to create a project budget, including several types of costs that you will need to account for. 7 minutes to read.
- Mike Clayton does a deep dive into constraints, interdependency, external dependency, and task dependency. 11 minutes to read, plus six videos totaling about 29 minutes, all safe for work.
- Harry Hall reviews the available strategies for handling overall project risk. The considerations are different from selecting strategies for individual risks and opportunities. Video, 4 minutes, safe for work.
- Seth Godin reminds us of the balance between resilience and reliability. Not all failures are created equally. 1 minute to read.
- Andy Silber critiques the risk management skills exhibited by Captain James T. Kirk and finds him woefully lacking. 4 minutes to read.
- Máté Wohlmuth, who runs a software development agency, compares fixed price versus time and labor contracts, along with other outsourcing success factors. 5 minutes to read.
- John Goodpasture lists a few good practices for managing our little data in Excel. 2 minutes to read.
Managing Software Development
- Stefan Wolpers curates his weekly list of Agile content, from mental models and cognitive biases to a Scrum Fail case study to suitable metrics for an innovation program. 7 outbound links, 3 minutes to read.
- Johanna Rothman explains how to manage projects and products portfolio in a shared services Here’s part two; each about 3 minutes to read.
- Paul Grizzafi and Mas Kono describe a method of assigning “points” to test cases, to answer questions about, “Can we release yet?” 12 minutes to read.
- Uncle Bob Martin recounts an anecdote from a barbecue joint that shows how software can frustrate a user who just wants to do his job. 3 minutes to read.
- Bob Marshall offers his thoughtful analysis of the #NoSoftware hashtag, which is more about challenging assumptions than eliminating code. 5 minutes to read.
- Alan Richardson continues Bob’s line of reasoning: maybe you don’t need a tool to solve your communication problems. 6 minutes to read.
- Michael Lopp explains real-time wisdom, which he refers to as Spidey-sense. “Something is up, and I don’t know what.” Some might say to trust your gut. 5 minutes to read.
- Art Petty lists six skills we should develop for career success. For project managers, gray-zone leadership is make-or-break. 3 minutes to read.
- Christiaan Verwijs examines the elephants in the room—those invisible conflicts within the team—and identifies ways to make them visible. 6 minutes to read.
Research and Insights
- David Balaban makes the case for not paying the pirates when attacked by ransomware. 5 minutes to read.
- S. Deller and Robert Gaunt look at emerging developments in brain-machine interfaces. This will soon be a common thing, like eyeglasses and hearing aids. 5 minutes to read.
- Oksana Sokolovsky and Rojit Mahajan examine the impact of GDPR after one year and tell us what to expect as more countries pass privacy legislation. 3 minutes to read.
Working and the Workplace
- Stephanie Neal reviews the data and finds that Gen X is becoming a flight risk. Over-worked, under-rewarded, and fewer promotions are having an impact. 5 minutes to read.
- Trace Cohen explains how he got into an Executive MBA program and why that has turned out to be right for his tech / startup career. 5 minutes to read.
- Elise Stevens interviews Crystal Richards on how political skills can help a project manager succeed. Podcast, 19 minutes, safe for work.