New project management articles published on the web during the week of December 16 – 22. And this week’s video: Mike Clayton updates a holiday favorite with the twelve project management days of Christmas. No singing and no birds in fruit trees; just short reminders of key themes in project management. Six minutes, safe for work.
Ethics, Business Acumen and Strategy
- Bas Kohnke points out four trends in the gig economy, people enablement, chatbots, and AI that will further change the workplace in 2020. 4 minutes to read.
- Rashmi Sharma describes seven tech trends about to transform business in the coming decade. 6 minutes to read.
- Kimberley Botwright reports on the furious growth of cross-border data transactions, and the growing body of regulations restricting it. Compliance will be one of the challenges of the 20’s. 4 minutes to read.
- Harold Kerzner identifies coming changes to the practice of project management. This will be the decade that project management becomes a strategic skill set. 6 minutes to read.
- John Goodpasture shares an outline and general guidelines for writing an RFP. 4 minutes to read.
- Brad Egeland describes what a project manager should be able to expect from the customer, the project team, and from senior management. 9 minutes to read all three.
- Stephen Biddle tells us how to write a report. And just as important: how to not write a report. 3 minutes to read.
- Jason Westland gives us an overview of IT governance, including definitions, frameworks, and planning. 6 minutes to read.
- David Binny looks at the intricacies of the making a business case for a move to S/4HANA, before SAP ends support for ECC. Alternatives abound! 6 minutes to read.
Managing Software Development
- Stefan Wolpers curates his weekly list of Agile content, from innovation failures to better standups to actively doing nothing. 7 outbound links, 3 minutes to read.
- Johanna Rothman expands a recent conversation with a project manager to illustrate the power of role titles. 6 minutes to read.
- Louis-Philippe Carignan observes the impact of DevOps on Agile practices; specifically, the growing value of Kanban metrics as a substitute for story points. 6 minutes to read.
- Bob Reselman outlines a strategy for testing in an event-driven application architecture. 7 minutes to read.
- Chris Fox rants, “Testing is essential, but it’s secondary. Sorry.” 6 minutes to read.
- Nels Hoenig shares an anecdote that underlines the value of validating data before proceeding to analysis. 5 minutes to read.
- Art Petty analyzes the leader’s role in executing on strategy. 5 minutes to read.
- Amy Jen Su examines the components of trust between manager and team to help us understand if we really trust each other. 10 minutes to read.
- John Millen uses Jeff Bezos, Warren Buffet, and Elon Musk as examples of great communicators. 5 minutes to read.
Cybersecurity and Data Protection
- Curtis Franklin explains how to approach API security. 5 minutes to read.
- Edlyn Levine and Algirde Pipikaite assess the potential of cyberattacks that directly target the hardware in our infrastructure. 4 minutes to read.
- Colin Jones updates us on developments in mobile two-factor authentication and security keys, in the wake of SIM-swapping attacks. 6 minutes to read.
- Steven Melendez reports that ransomware attackers are now publishing stolen data from victims who don’t pay. Yes, this means they are leveraging GDPR fines. 2 minutes to read.
- Leigh Espy primes the pump with 35 conversation-starter questions for social and networking events. Not just for the holidays! 5 minutes to read.
- Harry McCracken extols the iPad as his personal gadget of the decade. 3 minutes to read.