New project management articles published on the web during the week of February 17 – 23. And this week’s video: Harry Hall shares his list of inputs for your project risk management plans. 2 minutes, safe for work.
Ethics, Business Acumen and Strategy
- Greg Satell reflects on the growing need for us to consider the ethical dimensions of the technologies we develop and field. 5 minutes to read.
- Richard Smith-Bingham and Kavitha Hariharan explain why the coronavirus epidemic is a global business risk and make the case for business investment in pandemic resilience. 6 minutes to read.
- Azeem Azhar interviews Ian Bremmer on geopolitics, technology, and the top risks for the decade ahead. Podcast, 43 minutes, safe for work.
- Henny Portman examines the International PMO standard under development by the AIPMO. 7 minutes to read.
- Elise Stevens interviews Anita Phagura of Fierce Project Management, a networking group for women and underrepresented groups in project management. Podcast, 29 minutes, safe for work.
- Deb Schaffer tutors us on the basics of scope management. 3 minutes to read.
- John Goodpasture ruminates on projects as transactions. Or possibly relationships. Or maybe both. 2 minutes to read.
- Mike Clayton explains the difference between a milestone and a deadline. Video, 3 minutes, safe for work.
- Pat Weaver has compiled a map of philosophies and principles that shape planning approaches. Culture dominates our decision-making! 7 minutes to read.
Managing Software Development
- Stefan Wolpers curates his weekly list of Agile content, from an interview with Kent Beck to Agile leadership to organizing your backlog. 7 outbound links, 4 minutes to read.
- Gábor Zöld curates his monthly engineering management resource roundup, from Two Sigma to feedback to celebrating achievement. 10 outbound links, 4 minutes to read.
- Doc Norton identifies the metrics he recommends for measuring agile efficiency, despite a preference for effectiveness. 3 minutes to read.
- Ayush Jain explains the product manager role and responsibilities in the modern product lifecycle framework. 5 minutes to read.
- Marcus Blankenship interviews Ellen Gottesdiener on improving the product management lifecycle with better collaborative decision-making. Podcast, 49 minutes, safe for work.
- Michel van der Meulen maps out the transition from a business analyst role to a product owner role. 4 minutes to read.
- Cory Foy lists ten questions you should ask before introducing change to your team. 4 minutes to read.
- Jennifer Jordan and colleagues explore seven tensions between traditional and emerging leadership approaches. 7 minutes to read.
- Adriana Girdler explains the Tuckman model of team development stages. Video, 7 minutes, safe for work.
Cybersecurity and Data Protection
- William Turton reports on an incredibly sophisticated social engineering and corporate Email fraud ring that investigators have dubbed Exaggerated Lion. 6 minutes to read.
- Michael Kan reports that the US Defense Information Systems Agency, charged with securing US military communications, may have been breached. 2 minutes to read.
- Thomas Fillaud makes six cybersecurity predictions for 2020. Keep an eye on machine identity security and global supply chain security. 3 minutes to read.
- Suzanne Lucas provides an HR practitioner’s view of what compliance with the California Consumer Privacy Act means for HR data. 3 minutes to read.
- John Schwarz reports on how on-the-job training is replacing the graduate degree. 6 minutes to read.
- Elizabeth Harrin notes that, from robotics and automation to artificial intelligence, the future of work is already here. The challenge is to harness the benefits. 5 minutes to read.
- Leigh Espy does a deep dive into Tim Hurson’s new book, Think Better. 10 minutes to read.