New project management articles published on the web during the week of March 16 – 22. And this week’s video: Harry Hall talks about the need to identify a risk owner along with the project risks you want to manage. 3 minutes, safe for work.
Ethics, Business Acumen and Strategy
- Zorana Ivcevic and colleagues reports on results of a survey that found an alarming level of pressure to act unethically in US organizations. 5 minutes to read.
- Ron Rivers examines the intersection of technology and labor, from early history to the near future. 13 minutes to read.
- Adam Rasmi reports that COVID-19 is also impacting negotiations between the UK and EU on a post-Brexit free trade agreement. 2 minutes to read.
- Mike Clayton explains how to manage multiple projects at once. Video, 15 minutes, safe for work.
- Marina Pilipenko tutors us on project cost management. 7 minutes to read.
- Peter Landau coaches us on making a procurement management plan. Part of it is a commercial, but you also watch television, right? 6 minutes to read.
- Jory MacKay guides us through writing a communication plan. 9 minutes to read.
- Brad Egeland walks us through the process of handing a project off to another project manager. 4 minutes to read.
- The nice folks at Clarizen compiled a list of five books that every project manager should read. 3 minutes to read.
Managing Software Development
- Stefan Wolpers curates his weekly list of Agile content, from what drives performance of a distributed agile team to disagreement in distributed teams to the magic of conflict. 7 outbound links, 3 minutes to read.
- Kiron Bondale argues that domain and organizational knowledge are the key requirement for prospective product managers. 3 minutes to read.
- Tanay Agrawal suggests that product managers need to see their product like a new user, every single day. 5 minutes to read.
- Henny Portman shows the difference between incremental and iterative Here’s Part Two, about ten minutes to read both parts.
- Ankur Jain explains a diagram of the DevOps life cycle. 2 minutes to read.
- Maximilian Bauer says that being smarter about test cases and how they are structured can save money in testing. 7 minutes to read.
- George Pitagorsky tells us how to manage fear and anger in projects. 5 minutes to read.
- Christine Trodella has some thoughts on managing newly remote workers, when you don’t know how long they’ll be working from home. 7 minutes to read.
- Sharlyn Lauby uses the Marvel Cinematic Universe to illustrate keys points on how to manage the external workforce, both project-based and recurring. 4 minutes to read, plus a video interview, 10 minutes, safe for work.
- Amelia Salyers curates a list of 22 articles for leaders from the past few years, published by venture capital firm Andreeson Horowitz. 5 minutes to read the synopses.
Cybersecurity and Data Protection
- Curtis Franklin gives us a brief overview of how to quantify cybersecurity risks. 4 minutes to read.
- Brenda Sharton sees plentiful opportunities for cybercriminals in the new “work from home” mantra of COVID-19. 4 minutes to read.
- Elizabeth Harrin gives us some useful pointers for setting up our home office. 4 minutes to read.
- Stephanie Vozza notes that generalists tend to be more successful, but only if they get really good at a few useful skills that combine to make them stand out. 3 minutes to read.
- Sarath C P shares six tips for creating an effective elevator pitch. 5 minutes to read. You’ll need to find your own elevator …