New project management articles published on the web during the week of March 2 – 8. And this week’s video: Mike Clayton introduces a new concept: aintegration, a measure of how well one copes with uncertainty and contradictions. Successful project managers must be able to deal with volatility, uncertainty, and ambiguity as a necessary part of the job, and developing that skill should be part of your professional development plan. 4 minutes, safe for work.
New project management articles published on the web during the week of February 17 – 23. And this week’s video: Harry Hall shares his list of inputs for your project risk management plans. 2 minutes, safe for work.
Ethics, Business Acumen and Strategy
Greg Satell reflects on the growing need for us to consider the ethical dimensions of the technologies we develop and field. 5 minutes to read.
New project management articles published on the web during the week of February 10 – 16. And this week’s video: Mike Clayton explains the concept of a discounted cash flow, based on a rate of return over time, and the related terms present value, net present value, and internal rate of return. The language of business includes a little math. 6 minutes, safe for work.
Ethics, Business Acumen and Strategy
Nathan Furr and Jeff Dyer studied Tesla’s approach to innovation, industry transformation, and bringing new ideas to market and explain what they found. 6 minutes to read.
Greg Satell points out that information and communication technologies only account for 6% of GDP in advanced economies. The other 94% is where the real potential lies. 5 minutes to read.
Vizhdan Boranova and colleagues surveyed 11,000 workers in 11 advanced and emerging market economies on their attitude toward automation. 2 minutes to read.
Glen Alleman shares links to a staggering number of briefings, papers, and presentations on all aspects of project management. I won’t even try to estimate the time required to read it all.
Praveen Malik explains start / finish dates, actual dates, and baseline dates in MS Project, with recommended practices. 4 minutes to read.
Harry Hall shows us how to create a project risk management plan. 4 minutes to read.
Linky van der Merwe suggests approaches for managing eight common types of project risks. 4 minutes to read.
John Goodpasture expounds on extreme risks—those events with irreversible consequences but low likelihood of occurrence. 2 minutes to read.
Managing Software Development
Stefan Wolpers curates his weekly list of Agile content, from metrics for experiments to design sprints to whether ‘Agile’ is a reactionary movement. 7 outbound links, 4 minutes to read.
Johanna Rothman shares her experience with separating software defect correction from developing “new” code. Very insightful. 4 minutes to read.
William Harwood reports on the investigation into software defects that nearly caused a catastrophic failure in the test of the Boeing Starliner crew module. 6 minutes to read.
Karlo Smid explains why 100% code coverage does not mean 100% testing coverage. 2 minutes to read.
Junaid Ahmed explains how continuous testing and DevOps fit together. 7 minutes to read.
Kunal Chauhan identifies the decision criteria for choosing between a virtual machine architecture and a Docker container strategy. 2 minutes to read, 8 on a nerd scale of 10.
Julia Brooke walks us through some of the symptoms of burnout in tech workers. 3 minutes to read.
Dina Smith coaches us on how to stop micromanaging and delegate more. 4 minutes to read.
Brad Swaim explains the research behind the recommended team size of “seven, plus or minus two.” 4 minutes to read.
Vicky Cosenzo finds some surprising leadership lessons in Chris Hadfield’s new book, An Astronaut’s Guide to Mental Models. 3 minutes to read.
Cybersecurity and Data Protection
Patrick Howell O’Neill reports the conviction of Eric Eoin Marques, the man behind Dark Web’s Freedom Hosting. The FBI still won’t tell how they cracked Tor. 5 minutes to read.
William Akoto examines the vulnerability of the growing cloud of small, cheap satellites in low Earth Orbit to hacking and exploitation. It’s already been done! 5 minutes to read.
Lutfey Siddiqi opens with, “Cybercrime could cost banks an estimated $350 billion in the next five years.” The threat is huge, hard to model, and the past is not prologue. 5 minutes to read.
Brigid Ludwig explains the concept of ego depletion and notes several ways to recharge enough to make a better strategic decision. 6 minutes to read.
Lisette Sutherland interviews Yuri Malishenko on how visual thinking can overcome the complexity of communication and problem-solving. Video, 33 minutes, safe for work.
Scott Berkun asked Twitter for recommendations on a good book for non-designers to get some design literacy. He shares the top 15. 2 minutes to read.