- Kathleen O’Connor interviews Chris Krebs, a social science researcher, on an experiment in fostering innovation in higher education called “The Creative Disruptors.”
- Adrian Fittolani details the Monte Carlo approach to prepare a distribution of likely project durations, based on a relatively small number of samples.
- William Davis introduces us to Statistical PERT, a technique for creating estimates using Excel.
- Glen Alleman notes that an understanding of system intangibles is required in order to decompose the work needed to create it.
- Elizabeth Harrin interviews Christian Kotzbauer, Managing Director of Genius Project, on the future of project management software.
- Bruce Harpham gives us the background and best practices for leading virtual teams.
- John Goodpasture reviews General Stanley McChrystal’s new book, “Team of Teams.”
- Gina Abudi lists three quick bullet points that can improve how you negotiate with others.
- Kerry Wills explains the notion of “watermelon” status reporting: green on the outside, red on the inside.
- Johanna Rothman started a series on balancing resource utilization and workflow efficiency. Here are parts two and three; more are on the way.
- Michael Smith shares some tips on scaling a software development team, gleaned from Forbes.com.
- Bernd Schiffer arms us with 17 questions and 8 techniques for use in a Sprint review.
- Pedro Gustavo Torres explains pair programming, and shares some best practices.
- Deloitte CIO Journal has an interesting article on preparing for crisis, as opposed to disaster. It’s not just about natural events, but “nefarious acts.”
- Janice Blake details the key considerations when contracting for software as a service (SaaS) projects.
- Ron Rosenhead recommends a UK government report from the National Audit Office with some interesting insights into what predicts project success.
Work Isn’t a Place You Go
- Liane Davey reviews stress: being aware of the impact and dealing with the causes.
- Emma Bracy give us the short science explanation for why we need to unplug from our hyper-connected routine.
- Peter Saddington notes that we need manage the time we spend learning and experimenting, in light of our limitations.
- Karina Keith rounds up three blog posts that make the business case for taking a nap. I’m elderly – I don’t need no stinkin’ business case …
Podcasts and Videos
- Craig Smith interviews Jeff Patton, author of “User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product.” Just 43 minutes, safe for work.
- Harry Hall reviews his recommendations for creating accurate project estimates. Just 2 minutes, safe for work.
- Ruairi O’Donnellan shares a list of six TED Talks relevant for project managers. Excellent stuff!
- Kamal Ahmed interviews Demis Hassabis, head of Google’s machine learning business. Just two minutes, safe for work, plus some text not included in the video.