- Diana Manos summarizes comments on keeping large IT projects successful, given by Richard Spires in testimony before Congress on the launch of Healthcare.gov.
- Elizabeth Harrin shares her roundup of project management news for November, 2013.
- Glen Alleman uses types of aircraft as a metaphor for classes of project, based on size, complexity, and risk, to illustrate how software domains differ
- Sam Palani reviews Nick Bilton’s new book, “Hatching Twitter.”
- Bertrand Duperrin reviews “Big Data: A Revolution That Will Transform How We Live, Work, and Think,” by Viktor Mayer-Schönberger and Kenneth Cukier.
- Greg McKeown, the Author of the upcoming “Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less,” lists some proven techniques to reduce your stress.
- Martin Webster asks, are you a role model?
PM Best Practices
- Andy Jordan follows his recent post on Organizational Risk with an exploration of how a constraints hierarchy should influence risk management.
- Luis Seabra Coelho has devised a spreadsheet template that supports a two-level decision tree, comprised of multiple groups of criteria applicable to each alternative.
- Jason Westland covers the steps to take in creating and executing on a project schedule.
- Michael Girdler posts some pointers on how to keep your project on track over the holidays.
- Conrado Morlan, Lynda Bourne, Mario Trentim, and Kevin Korterud address complexity, as reported in the PMI Pulse of the Profession Report: Navigating Complexity.
- John Goodpasture recaps Saltzer and Schroeder’s forty-year old design principles for information security.
- Peter Parks, VP of Product Management at Provade, explains how to prepare for implementation of a vendor management system.
- Patti Gilchrist summarizes what Big Data will mean over the next couple of years for the project management community.
Podcasts and Videos
- Samad Aidane interviews Diego Guadarrama on how to use FindTheBest.com to compare project management software products, on line. Just 27 minutes, safe for work.
- Cesar Abeid interviews Farnoosh Brock on starting up your own business. Just 49 minutes, safe for work. Congratulations to the Abeid family on the new baby – Lucy!
- Cornelius Fichtner interviews Jack Ferraro on his presentation at the PMI Global Congress: the real problem with your portfolio is multi-tasking. Just 25 minutes, safe for work.
- Jason Hiner summarizes the impact Edward Snowden’s exposure of the NSA’s digital surveillance programs has had on IT organizations. Two minutes, safe for work.
- Jesse Fewell reports from the Agile for Government Summit. “This is the first event I’ve been to where the acquisition and procurement community was fully engaged.”
- Mike Griffiths addresses the way an Agile approach accommodates uncertain requirements.
- Shim Marom has revised his LinkedIn profile to reflect his values, rather than his qualifications and experience. Excellent!
- Peter Saddington discovers that there really is an “I” in “Team,” and it’s right where you’d expect it to be.