New project management articles published on the web during the week of December 23 – 29. We read all of this stuff so you don’t have to! The reader survey is still open – it’s a measly six questions, you can respond in under a minute! Recommended:
Get Ready for 2014
- Jelani Harper notes a variety of interesting trends in Cloud Computing for 2014.
- Eric Bloom identifies five mega-trends that are changing the profession of project management.
- Jeff Bertolucci makes six predictions for Big Data in 2014.
- Adrian Fittolani looks at what Dan Pink says workers want – mastery, autonomy, and purpose – and responds with what they should be prepared to give in return.
- Conrado Morlan applies lessons learned from running marathons to project management.
- Luis Seabra Coelho concludes his two-part article on “self-herding,” a cognitive bias that drives us to reiterate previous decisions in new circumstances.
PM Best Practices
- Terry Bunio expands on a post by Karen Lopez, making the business case for creating a data model.
- Glen Alleman deconstructs two graphs on estimated vs. actual project duration, as poor applications of statistical analysis.
- Kinzy Janssen looks into how TempWorks Director of Project Management, Taylor Mack, guides over a dozen implementations a month.
- John Goodpasture: “If you can’t draw it, you can’t build it!”
- Tom McFarlin shares some insights about vision and mission gained from managing teams of volunteers engaged in open source software development.
- Venkatesh Krishnamurthy explores three critical factors in performance testing.
- Steven Levy looks at the implications “dark data” – electronically stored information that you don’t know about – might have for discovery when under litigation.
- Derek Huether uses a holiday example to illustrate how he uses his personal Kanban to limit his non-work in progress.
- Penelope Trunk believes the secret to keeping New Year’s resolutions and other commitments lies in establishing KPI’s – key performance indicators.
Podcasts and Videos
- Cesar Abeid interviews Harry Che on setting goals and achieving them. Just 39 minutes, safe for work.
- Jennifer Whitt explains five things we need to do as project managers to keep learning. Just 6 minutes, safe for work.
- Dave Prior posts links to his favorite videos from the Øredev conference, held in November in Sweden.
- The folks at ProjectSmart looked back at 2013 output and listed their ten most popular articles – all good enough to read again!
- Russell Whitworth looks back at the recurring themes in his consulting work from 2013.
- Ryan Boudreaux put together a slide show of the best web designs of 2013. It makes me want to raise my game!